Love play dough recipes that feel soft AND smell good? This cinnamon vanilla scented play dough is perfect for both fall and Christmas, and it will last for months if when properly stored!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. We only endorse products, services and merchants that we have personally used/tested and consider of the highest quality standard. Please see our full disclosure for further information.
Want to print out this activity? Scroll to the bottom for the printable summary!
Is there anything more satisfying to play with than homemade play dough?
How about homemade play dough that also smells amazing?!
We are no strangers to making our own play dough. In fact, it seems like every other week that we experiment with a new recipe. But our favourites are always the ones that smell the best.
There are lots of things you can add to play dough to make it smell good. Our go-to scented play dough recipe is probably Jell-O Play Dough, which has vibrant colours and a fruity scent.
But with autumn just around the corner, we wanted to try something different. And what says autumn like the sweet scent of cinnamon and vanilla?
Not only is this fall-scented play dough appropriate for the autumn months, but it is also perfect for Christmas. I don’t know about you, but I do a lot of baking during the holidays and the smell of cinnamon definitely reminds me of Christmas.
So if you’re looking for a fall sensory activity that will engage your child’s senses, this lovely cinnamon- and vanilla-scented play dough is definitely worth a try!
How to Make Fall-Scented Cinnamon Play Dough
Here’s what you’ll need to make a batch of cinnamon vanilla dough for your kids:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (optionally baked on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes at 350°F if you need the recipe to be taste-safe)
- ¾ cup table salt (we buy ours in packs of three at Costco)
- 4 tsp cream of tartar (if you’re going to be making lots of homemade play dough, I recommend buying this item in bulk—it lasts forever and you’re sure to go through a lot of it!)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon (you can also use pumpkin spice for a more nuanced, fall-themed scent)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (real or artificial)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Combine Dry Ingredients
Start by combining the flour, salt, cream of tartar and cinnamon in a medium wok or saucepan. You’ll be doing the cooking in this saucepan, so make sure it’s big enough to accommodate the wet ingredients as well.
2. Add Water, Oil & Vanilla
Add the water, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
3. Cook Play Dough
Turn on the element on medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture forms a ball of dough that no longer sticks to the pot or wok. This shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.
4. Knead Play Dough
Remove the dough from the pot or wok and set it aside to cool.
Once it’s cool enough to touch, knead the dough with your hands until it feels stretchy and smooth. Then, give the play dough to your child to play with!
This play dough feels SUPER soft and is really easy to flatten with a rolling pin. We took out some cookie cutters and used them to make cinnamon-scented “cookies” to play with.
Plus, if stored properly, this fall play dough will stay soft for months!
How to Store Cinnamon Spice Play Dough
To ensure that your play dough lasts as long as possible, I recommend that you store it in a sealed freezer bag with all the air removed. When stored this way, the dough should stay super soft and stretchy for several months.
Cinnamon Vanilla Play Dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup salt
- 4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon or pumpkin spice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and cream of tartar in a medium wok.
- Add water, vegetable oil and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes a ball of dough that no longer sticks to the sides of the wok. This should take no more than 5 minutes.
- Set the play dough aside to cool. Once it’s cool enough, knead it with your hands until smooth. Then, give it to your child to play with!
Related Scented Play Dough Recipes
Do you love play dough recipes that smell great? Check out these articles:
Join my mailing list using the form below to receive 12 of the most popular sensory recipes on my site in PDF format! You’ll be the first to know when I publish new recipes, and you’ll also gain access to my free printables library, which is filled with lots of printable activities for kids.